SubjectRe: [patch 3/3] mm: memcontrol: fix transparent huge page allocations under pressure
On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 07:27:59PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> > I don't particularly like the decisions the current code makes, but it
> > should work. We have put in a lot of effort to prevent overreclaim in
> > the last few years, and a big part of this was decoupling the priority
> > level from the actual reclaim results. Nowadays, the priority level
> > should merely dictate the scan window and have no impact on the number
> > of pages actually reclaimed. I don't expect that it will, but if it
> > does, that's a reclaim bug that needs to be addressed. If we ask for
> > N pages, it should never reclaim significantly more than that,
> > regardless of how aggressively it has to scan to accomplish that.
>
> That being said, I don't get the rationale behind the proportionality
> code in shrink_lruvec(). The patch that introduced it - e82e0561dae9
> ("mm: vmscan: obey proportional scanning requirements for kswapd") -
> mentions respecting swappiness, but as per above we ignore swappiness
> anyway until we run low on cache and into actual pressure.

Swappiness is ignored until active < inactive which is not necessarily
indicative of pressure. Filesystems may mark pages active and move them
to the active list in the absense of pressure for example.

The changelog does not mention it but a big motivator for the patch was
this result https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/22/420 and the opening paragraph
mentions "The intent was to minimse direct reclaim latency but Yuanhan
Liu pointer out that it substitutes one long stall for many small stalls
and distorts aging for normal workloads like streaming readers/writers."

> And under
> pressure, once we struggle to reclaim nr_to_reclaim, proportionality
> enforces itself when one LRU type target hits zero and we continue to
> scan the one for which more pressure was allocated. But as long as we
> scan both lists at the same SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX rate and have no problem
> getting nr_to_reclaim pages with left-over todo for *both* LRU types,
> what's the point of going on?

If we always scanned evenly then it risks reintroducing the long-lived
problem where starting a large amount of IO in the background pushed
everything into swap

> The justification for enforcing proportionality in direct reclaim is
> particularly puzzling:
>
> ---
>
> commit 1a501907bbea8e6ebb0b16cf6db9e9cbf1d2c813
> Author: Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de>
> Date: Wed Jun 4 16:10:49 2014 -0700
>
> mm: vmscan: use proportional scanning during direct reclaim and full scan at DEF_PRIORITY
>
> [...]
>
> 3.15.0-rc5 3.15.0-rc5
> shrinker proportion
> Unit lru-file-readonce elapsed 5.3500 ( 0.00%) 5.4200 ( -1.31%)
> Unit lru-file-readonce time_range 0.2700 ( 0.00%) 0.1400 ( 48.15%)
> Unit lru-file-readonce time_stddv 0.1148 ( 0.00%) 0.0536 ( 53.33%)
> Unit lru-file-readtwice elapsed 8.1700 ( 0.00%) 8.1700 ( 0.00%)
> Unit lru-file-readtwice time_range 0.4300 ( 0.00%) 0.2300 ( 46.51%)
> Unit lru-file-readtwice time_stddv 0.1650 ( 0.00%) 0.0971 ( 41.16%)
>
> The test cases are running multiple dd instances reading sparse files. The results are within
> the noise for the small test machine. The impact of the patch is more noticable from the vmstats
>
> 3.15.0-rc5 3.15.0-rc5
> shrinker proportion
> Minor Faults 35154 36784
> Major Faults 611 1305
> Swap Ins 394 1651
> Swap Outs 4394 5891
> Allocation stalls 118616 44781
> Direct pages scanned 4935171 4602313
> Kswapd pages scanned 15921292 16258483
> Kswapd pages reclaimed 15913301 16248305
> Direct pages reclaimed 4933368 4601133
> Kswapd efficiency 99% 99%
> Kswapd velocity 670088.047 682555.961
> Direct efficiency 99% 99%
> Direct velocity 207709.217 193212.133
> Percentage direct scans 23% 22%
> Page writes by reclaim 4858.000 6232.000
> Page writes file 464 341
> Page writes anon 4394 5891
>
> Note that there are fewer allocation stalls even though the amount
> of direct reclaim scanning is very approximately the same.
>
> ---
>
> The timings show nothing useful, but the statistics strongly speak
> *against* this patch. Sure, direct reclaim invocations are reduced,
> but everything else worsened: minor faults increased, major faults
> doubled(!), swapins quadrupled(!!), swapins increased, pages scanned
> increased, pages reclaimed increased, reclaim page writes increased.

Direct reclaim invocations reducing was in line with the intent to
prevent many small stalls.

The increase in minor faults is marginal in absolute terms and very
likely within the noise.

Major faults might have doubled but in absolute terms is about the size
of a THP allocation or roughly a 25ms stall (depending on disk obviously)
overall in a long-lived test.

Differences in swap figures are also large in relative terms but very
small in absolute terms. Again, I suspected it was within the noise.

Same rational for the others. The changes in reclaim stats in absolute
terms are small considering the type of test being executed. The reclaim
figure changes look terrifying but if you look at the sum of direct and
kswapd reclaimed pages you'll see that the difference is marginal and all
that changed was who did the work. Same for scanning. Total scanning and
reclaim work was approximately similar, all that changed in this test is
what process did the work.

What was more important in this case was Yuanhan Liu report that the patch
addressed a major regression.

> Mel, do you maybe remember details that are not in the changelogs?

The link to Yuanhan Liu's report was missing but that happened after the
changelog was written so that is hardly a surprise. Nothing else springs
to mind.

> Because based on them alone, I think we should look at other ways to
> ensure we scan with the right amount of vigor...

I'm not against it per-se but avoid over-reacting about changes in stats
that are this small in absolute terms. If you do change this area, I
strongly suggest you also test with the parallelio-memcachetest configs
from mmtests and watch for IO causing excessive swap.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2014-10-17 12:01    [W:0.087 / U:0.048 seconds]