SubjectRe: Locking issues with cpufreq and sysfs
From
On 14 October 2014 23:54, Prarit Bhargava <prarit@redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's what I think we should do. Taking a step back, the purpose of the
> cpufreq sysfs files is to allow userspace to read current cpu frequency
> settings, and to allow userspce to modify the governor and set the max & min
> ranges for cpu frequencies. This can be done per device or for all cpus
> depending on the driver.

Okay.

> We have to guarantee that bothing reading and writing will always work and that
> write operations will always be atomic relative to userspace. The current

Ok.

> implementation of cpufreq does this through the following locks:
>
> cpufreq_driver_lock: protects the cpufreq_cpu_data array and cpufreq_driver->boost
> cpufreq_governor_lock: protects the current governor

Its just for serialization..

> cpufreq_governor_mutex: protects the cpufreq_governor_list
> cpufreq_rwsem: protects the driver from being unloaded
> global_kobj_lock: protects the "cpufreq" kobject
> each policy has a rwsem (policy->rwsem): protects the cpufreq_policy struct
> each policy has a transition_lock (policy->transition): synchronizes
> frequency transitions
>
> While examining this code I was wondering exactly why we allow multiple readers
> and writers in cpufreq. I could understand if we felt that this data was
> critical; but it really isn't. A short delay here isn't that big of a deal IMO
> (if someone can produce a case where a delay would cause a serious problem I'd
> like to hear it). I don't even think it is safe in most cases to allow readers
> while cpufreq values are changing; if we're changing the governor userspace
> cannot rely on the value of (for example) cpuinfo_max_freq.

I don't know how reader writer lock will fail and a normal lock will not.
There is only benefit of rwlock, that readers can read things while
there is nobody
writing..

> So I'm proposing that we move to a single threaded read/write using, if

Okay, but how will that benefit us ?

> possible, a single policy lock for now. We might transition this back to a
> rwsem later on, however, for the first attempt at cleaning this up I think we
> should just stick with a simple lock. In doing that, IMO we remove
>
> cpufreq_rwsem: protects the driver from being unloaded
> cpufreq_governor_lock: protects the current governor
> each policy has a rwsem (policy->rwsem): protects the cpufreq_policy struct
>
> and potentially
>
> cpufreq_driver_lock: protects the cpufreq_cpu_data array and cpufreq_driver->boost

Not really sure, but yeah we might be able to club few of them..

> After looking at the way the code would be structured, I'm wondering if
>
> cpufreq_governor_mutex: protects the cpufreq_governor_list
>
> is overkill. The loading of a module should be atomic relative to the cpufreq
> code, so this lock may not be required. (Admittedly I haven't tested that...)
>
> That would leave:
>
> global_kobj_lock: protects the "cpufreq" kobject
> each policy has a transition_lock (policy->transition): synchronizes
> frequency transitions
>
> and a new lock, perhaps called policy->lock, to serialize all events.
>
> Pros: We clean all this up to a simpler single threaded model. Bugs and races
> here would be much easier to handle. We're currently putting band-aid on
> band-aids in this code ATM and it looks like we're seeing old races expanded
> or new races exposed.
>
> Cons: We lose the ability to do simultaneous reads and writes ... although
> I remain unconvinced that this would ever be safe to do. ie) If I change the
> governor while at the same time reading, for example, the current cpu
> frequency I cannot rely on that value to be valid.
>
> After that we can add some reference counting to the sysfs file accesses
> so that we can block after the sysfs removal when we change cpufreq
> governors. I think that would be trivial and that it would resolve any races
> when adding and removing governor's sysfs files.

Not really sure, but if you solve few things with getting these bugs resolved
then we might apply your patches without any issues.

  Last update: 2014-10-16 14:01    [W:0.110 / U:0.440 seconds]