SubjectRe: ipv4: net namespace does not inherit network configurations
Hi, Miller && Cong

Can we merge this patch into kernel mainline? since the independence
between ipv4 and ipv6 is inconsistent even in the latest linux
kernel(3.17-rc7),
that is, the net namespace is independent in ipv6 while it is not in ipv4.

Thanks a lot.
Zhu Yanjun

On 07/30/2014 01:48 AM, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM, zhuyj <zyjzyj2000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,all
>>
>> I did a test on kernel3.16 rc6:
>>
>> root@qemu1:~# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
>> root@qemu1:~# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding
>> root@qemu1:~# ip netns list
>> root@qemu1:~# ip netns add fib1
>> root@qemu1:~# ip netns exec fib1 bash
>> root@qemu1:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
>> 0
>> root@qemu1:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/forwarding
>> 1
>>
>> The behavior of ipv4 and ipv6 is very inconsistent. I checked
>> the kernel source code. I found that from this patch
>> [ipv6: fix bad free of addrconf_init_net], the above difference
>> appeared.
>>
>> Since a net namespace is independent to another. That is, there
>> is no any relationship between the net namespaces. So the behavior
>> of ipv4 is not correct.
>>
> Well, they are already independent, not shared, just that the initial
> value is duplicated from init_net for IPv4.
>
> This change might break existing applications which rely on this
> behavior, but given IPv6 change is almost the same, I think it's ok.
>
> BTW, you need to submit a patch as normal, instead of as an attachment.

  Last update: 2014-10-13 11:02    [W:0.057 / U:0.124 seconds]