SubjectRe: Machine crashes right *after* ~successful resume
Hello,

Many thanks for your response!

On 12-10-14 15:30, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Has it ever worked ok? ...aha, in 3.10, ok.

Correct. And I've tried a few more kernels now, compiled on my own. 3.17
still has this issue, 3.10 is completely fine all the way up to 3.10.57
(I've tested just under 50 cycles last night). 3.11 I tried but it seems
to have other suspend-resume stability issues not present anymore in
later kernels, I've mostly not used those results.

git bisect: I've finally succeeded! I've tried automating it completely,
but sadly Gigabyte couldn't be bothered wiring up the motherboard to
make the watchdog work. :-(

The culprit appears to be this one: 2e8b5f621dbe29425906852c6079afb6b28720cb

Merge: 07f2daa fed2451
Author: Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>
Date: Wed Aug 28 20:55:41 2013 -0600

Merge branch 'pci/misc' into next

* pci/misc:
PCI: Remove pcie_cap_has_devctl()
PCI: Support PCIe Capability Slot registers only for ports with slots
PCI: Remove PCIe Capability version checks
PCI: Allow PCIe Capability link-related register access for switches
PCI: Add offsets of PCIe capability registers
PCI: Tidy bitmasks and spacing of PCIe capability definitions
PCI: Remove obsolete comment reference to pci_pcie_cap2()
PCI: Clarify PCI_EXP_TYPE_PCI_BRIDGE comment
PCI: Rename PCIe capability definitions to follow convention
PCI: Disable decoding for BAR sizing only when it was actually
enabled
PCI: Add comment about needing pci_msi_off() even when
CONFIG_PCI_MSI=n
PCI: Add pcibios_pm_ops for optional arch-specific hibernate
functionality

I've then tried to narrow down which of the merged changes is my issue
but with no luck, possibly because there's a problem with a combination
of one of these changes, and a change that was not in the pci/misc
branch at the time. I could do a manual test instead.

>> I've already tried to skip the NVidia + VMware modules at boot time (as you
>> can see from the logs they're not loaded at any point), but it didn't help.
>> I could try omitting more modules.
> Yes, try with minimal modules (and no s2ram) would be nice.

I've tried unloading a bunch of modules (sound and NIC IIRC), same
results. I can try this again with an even more minimal set. If this
improves the situation, I'll post again.

Wilmer van der Gaast.

--
| wilmer : :' : gaast.net | | OSS Programmer www.bitlbee.org |

  Last update: 2014-10-12 18:21    [W:0.102 / U:0.376 seconds]