SubjectRe: [RFC 06/18] regmap: Formalise use of non-bus context
On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 01:08:31PM +0000, Pawel Moll wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 12:45 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > The obvious question here is why is this callback useful
> > - what is being allocated in a regmap specific context that needs to be
> > lifetime managed separately to the thing doing the creation? I can't
> > see any obvious reason why this would ever get used.

> First of all, it's just a generalization of the free_context already
> existing in regmap_bus (and used by regmap-mmio). And in case of this
> series it is being used to release extra resource added allocated for a
> "busless" regmap_config. Briefly, I'm using devm_regmap_init() to
> "attach" a custom regmap configuration to a device when it is being
> created (which is then dev_get_regmap()-ed in the driver, as you saw in
> the regulator patch) and its context is a pointer to kzallocated data.
> free_context is used to release it when devm resource is being removed.

> Does it make any sense?

To be honest not really - the above sounds like you should've allocated
the memory using devm_kzalloc() or just embedding the allocated data in
the driver data for the parent. Internal things need to clean up after
themselves but users should already have a larger context of some kind.

  Last update: 2014-01-09 15:21    [W:0.062 / U:0.268 seconds]