SubjectRe: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] really large storage sectors - going beyond 4096 bytes
Date
On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 13:27 -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:47:01AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> > [agreement cut because it's boring for the reader]
> > >
> > > There are a few workloads where the VM and the FS would team up to make
> > > this fairly miserable
> > >
> > > Small files. Delayed allocation fixes a lot of this, but the VM doesn't
> > > realize that fileA, fileB, fileC, and fileD all need to be written at
> > > the same time to avoid RMW. Btrfs and MD have setup plugging callbacks
> > > to accumulate full stripes as much as possible, but it still hurts.
> > >
> > > Metadata. These writes are very latency sensitive and we'll gain a lot
> > > if the FS is explicitly trying to build full sector IOs.
> >
> > OK, so these two cases I buy ... the question is can we do something
> > about them today without increasing the block size?
> >
> > The metadata problem, in particular, might be block independent: we
> > still have a lot of small chunks to write out at fractured locations.
> > With a large block size, the FS knows it's been bad and can expect the
> > rolled up newspaper, but it's not clear what it could do about it.
> >
> > The small files issue looks like something we should be tackling today
> > since writing out adjacent files would actually help us get bigger
> > transfers.
>
> ocfs2 can actually take significant advantage here, because we store
> small file data in-inode. This would grow our in-inode size from ~3K to
> ~15K or ~63K. We'd actually have to do more work to start putting more
> than one inode in a block (thought that would be a promising avenue too
> once the coordination is solved generically.

Btrfs already defaults to 16K metadata and can go as high as 64k. The
part we don't do is multi-page sectors for data blocks.

I'd tend to leverage the read/modify/write engine from the raid code for
that.

-chris

  Last update: 2014-01-23 23:21    [W:0.089 / U:0.072 seconds]