SubjectRe: [11/11] system 1: Saving energy using DVFS
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 04:49:26PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > To save energy, the higher frequencies should be avoided and only used
> > when the application performance requirements can not be satisfied
> > otherwise (e.g. spread tasks across more cpus if possible).
>
> I argue this is untrue for any task where user waits for its
> completion with screen on. (And that's quite important subset).
>
> Lets take Nokia n900 as an example.
>
> (source http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Power_Consumption)
>
> Sleeping CPU: 2mA
> Screen on: 230mA
> CPU loaded: 250mA
>
> Now, lets believe your numbers and pretend system can operate at 33%
> of speed with 11% power consumption.
>
> Lets take task that takes 10 seconds on max frequency:
>
> ~ 10s * 470mA = 4700mAs
>
> You suggest running at 33% speed, instead; that means 30 seconds on
> low requency.
>
> CPU on low: 25mA (assumed).
>
> ~ 30s * 255mA = 7650mAs
>
> Hmm. So race to idle is good thing on Intel machines, and it is good
> thing on ARM design I have access to.

Race to idle doesn't mean that the screen goes off as well. Let's say
the screen stays on for 1 min and the CPU needs to be running for 10s
over this minute, in the first case you have:

10s & 250mA + 60s * 230mA = 16300mAs

in the second case you have:

30s * 25mA + 60s * 230mA = 14550mAs

That's a 1750mAs difference. There are of course other parts drawing
current but simple things like the above really make a difference in the
mobile space, both in terms of battery and thermal budget.

--
Catalin

  Last update: 2014-01-20 19:01    [W:0.177 / U:0.088 seconds]