SubjectRe: [patch 9/9] mm: keep page cache radix tree nodes in check
Hi Johannes,

On 01/11/2014 02:10 AM, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Previously, page cache radix tree nodes were freed after reclaim
> emptied out their page pointers. But now reclaim stores shadow
> entries in their place, which are only reclaimed when the inodes
> themselves are reclaimed. This is problematic for bigger files that
> are still in use after they have a significant amount of their cache
> reclaimed, without any of those pages actually refaulting. The shadow
> entries will just sit there and waste memory. In the worst case, the
> shadow entries will accumulate until the machine runs out of memory.

I have one more question. It seems that other algorithm only remember
history information of a limit number of evicted pages where the number
is usually the same as the total cache or memory size.
But in your patch, I didn't see a preferred value that how many evicted
pages' history information should be recorded. It all depends on the
workingset_shadow_shrinker?

Thanks,
-Bob

  Last update: 2014-01-15 07:21    [W:0.325 / U:0.104 seconds]