SubjectRe: [STABLE] find missing bug fixes in a stable kernel
On 01/13/2014 08:28 AM, Li Zefan wrote:
> We have several long-term and extended stable kernels, and it's possible
> that a bug fix is in some stable versions but is missing in some other
> versions, so I've written a script to find out those fixes.
>
> Take 3.4.xx and 3.2.xx for example. If a bug fix was merged into upstream
> kernel after 3.4, and then it was backported to 3.2.xx, then it probably
> needs to be backported to 3.4.xx.
>
> The result is, there're ~430 bug fixes in 3.2.xx that probably need to be
> backported to 3.4.xx. Given there're about 4500 commits in 3.2.xx, that
> is ~10%, which is quite a big number for stable kernels.
>
> We (our team in Huawei) are going to go through the whole list to filter
> out fixes that're applicable for 3.4.xx.
>
> I've attached the lists for 3.4 and 3.10.
>
> If a commit ID appears more than once in changelogs, it's possible that's
> because the commit was reverted later, so I tagged this kind of commits
> in the lists.

Hello Zefan,

Thanks for share, great job, it's very useful info for other companies
who build their kernel base on long term kernel like here in ProfitBricks.

I'm a little confused about the column occurrences, what do the 2
numbers mean, eg :
8c4f3c3fa968 874d3954a35c 2 1
the first is the occurrences in upstream and second for the occurrence
in 3.2.xx right?

Regards,
Jack

  Last update: 2014-01-13 11:21    [W:0.080 / U:0.064 seconds]