SubjectRe: RIP - dead harddisk..
From
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM, John Stoffel <john@stoffel.org> wrote:

> Linus> The timing absolutely sucks, but it looks like the SSD in my
> Linus> main workstation just died on me.
>
> What model, if you care to share? I figure you'r a perfect storm of
> SSD beating with all your compiles and git pulls, etc.

So I don't want to necessarily blame the harddisk, since it's just ten
days since I upgraded the rest of my machine, after it worked years in
the previous one. That just makes me go "hmm". As far as I know, all
the fans etc were working fine, but..

> And may I suggest that you get TWO of them next time and mirror them,
> for just this case? The SysAdmin in my shouting out here...

I long ago gave up on doing backups. I have actively moved to a model
where I use replacable machines instead. I've got the stuff I care
about generally on a couple of different machines, and then keys etc
backed up on a separate encrypted USB key.

So it's inconvenient. Mainly from a timing standpoint. But nothing more.

Linus

  Last update: 2013-09-11 05:21    [W:0.036 / U:0.832 seconds]