SubjectRe: [Bug] Reproducible data corruption on i5-3340M: Please revert 53a59fc67!
[Let's CC some more people]

On Wed 14-08-13 18:36:53, Ben Tebulin wrote:
> Hello Michal, Johannes, Balbir, Kamezawa and Mailing lists!

Hi,

> Since v3.7.2 on two independent machines a very specific Git repository
> fails in 9/10 cases on git-fsck due to an SHA1/memory failures. This
> only occurs on a very specific repository and can be reproduced stably
> on two independent laptops. Git mailing list ran out of ideas and for me
> this looks like some very exotic kernel issue.
>
> After a _very long session of rebooting and bisecting_ the Linux kernel
> (fortunately I had a SSD and ccache!) I was able to pinpoint the cause
> to the following patch:
>
> *"mm: limit mmu_gather batching to fix soft lockups on !CONFIG_PREEMPT"*
> 787f7301074ccd07a3e82236ca41eefd245f4e07 linux stable [1]
> 53a59fc67f97374758e63a9c785891ec62324c81 upstream commit [2]

Thanks for bisecting this up!

I will look into this but I find it really strange. The patch only
limits the number of batched pages to be freed. This might happen even
without the patch, albeit less likely, when a new batch cannot be
allocated.
That being said, I do not see anything obviously wrong with the patch
itself. Maybe we are not flushing those pages properly in some corner
case which doesn't trigger normally. I will have to look at it but I
really think this just exhibits a subtle bug in batch pages freeing.

I have no objection to revert the patch for now until we find out what
is really going on.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2013-08-14 20:01    [W:0.079 / U:0.804 seconds]