SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] tracing: final fixes for events and some
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 08:13:25PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > I see that some of the fixes here fix issues that your earlier
> > > post-rc1 rounds of non-regression fixes introduced to begin with.
> > > That's really not a good pattern either IMO.
> >
> > Not really. The earlier fixes closed some of the holes but were not good
> > enough. They didn't cause more regressions, but the method use to fix
> > the regressions it was trying to solve wasn't going to work when we saw
> > the extent of the regressions that had to be fixed. Oleg came up with a
> > better method, which meant that we had to undo the original fix, for a
> > even better fix.
>
> My point is that _neither_ should have gone in after the merge window.
> -rc1 and onwards are to fix regressions caused in the merge window, full
> stop. Yet there was a steady stream of tracing changes in kernel/ that at
> best fixed ancient bugs that are only root triggerable and which nobody
> actually triggered all that much. Followed by fixes to the fixes.

I'm not sure why I got cc'd on this, but for my part, the perf/tracing related bugs
I've found recently may have been there for ages, but they were triggerable
as non-root users.

Dave

  Last update: 2013-08-13 05:01    [W:0.063 / U:0.944 seconds]