SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]
From
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM, jonsmirl@gmail.com <jonsmirl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, yes - that's why the schema should be written down and used as a
> validation input to dtc. Then dtc can spit out errors for non-standard
> items. There would be two versions - the standard one and a legacy one
> that includes the standard one plus the hacks that can't be undone.
>
> But more importantly it provides a framework for people creating new
> node definitions. Now they can't work in a vacuum and come up with
> random names and structure for everything.
>
> Most of the problems express in the thread would go away if the schema
> was written down and discussed. The rule going forward would be no new
> nodes that aren't part of the standard schema.

+1.

If we want to keep the schema stable, it has to be defined and described
explicitly with one language, just like syscall ABI: C type/API exported to
userspace header file.

Thanks,
--
Ming Lei

  Last update: 2013-07-27 11:21    [W:0.255 / U:0.332 seconds]