SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML
On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 18:00 +0100, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2013, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > The last thing I want to do is to lower the quality of the kernel just
> > to get a wider range of developers.
>
> Can we stop bringing the quality of the code into the discussion?
>
> I think it's pretty clear that one doesn't need to be verbally abusive
> in order to stop bad code from getting into the kernel.

Matters what you definition of verbally abusive is. Can I say "your code
is crap!"? I've done that before, and the person I said it to asked me
to explain why it was crap, and I went into detail to why I called it
crap and still think it was crap.

But I'm not even one to insult people, as that's not my personality.
Well, maybe I've called people "idiot" before. But that usually comes
with someone sticking to an idea when all evidence proves otherwise.

Although I'm one of the tame ones on LKML, I still want to reserve my
right to be able to call someone an idiot, if someone is making stupid
ideas and constantly ignores facts that are being presented to them.

Anyway, as I've said several times. Is there a problem here? Besides the
few outbursts from Linus, is there other examples on LKML within the
last year where it is an abusive environment? From what I see, it is
becoming more mellow, and people have been making efforts to listen to
each other. The trend on LKML is going in the right direction, so I'm a
bit curious to why we need to make such an issue of this. Is it just to
make Linus lower his tone a bit?

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-07-18 01:21    [W:0.237 / U:0.580 seconds]