SubjectRe: microcode loading got really slow.
At Thu, 23 May 2013 18:27:57 +0800,
Ming Lei wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> >
> > Thinking on this again, if the user-space continues to be broken in
> > that point, we should provide request_firmware() variant without udev,
> > e.g. request_firmware_direct(), and use it in known places like this?
>
> As anish said, it has been already there,

No, f/w loader always fall back to user mode helper, as long as its
support is built in. And doing that for microcode driver in that code
path isn't only superfluous but also broken due to request_firmware
call in module init.

> wrt. this problem, I think we
> need to know why the direct loading is failed.

The reason is obvious: the requested f/w file doesn't exist.
And it's fine, because the microcode update is an optional operation.
If no f/w file is found, it's not handled as an error. It just means
that no need to update, continuing to work.

Takashi

  Last update: 2013-05-23 13:21    [W:0.056 / U:1.680 seconds]