SubjectRe: Kconfig "softdepends" idea
On 04/30/2013 02:40 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>> SHOW_ALL_DRIVERS" is not very descriptive. I'm not sure if that matters,
>> though. One doesn't need to read the Kconfig files every day =).
>>
>> But presuming most of the drivers would use that, it would add quite a
>> bit of repetition to the Kconfig files. Well, ok, I have no idea how
>> many drivers have dependencies that could be removed.
>>
>> So SHOW_ALL_DRIVERS sounds quite an easy solution to this.
>
> Someone suggested to add symbols that are only set yo "y" for allyesconfig or allmodconfig.
> This would be what you actuayl require here as what you are after is better
> build coverage.

Sorry, I didn't quite get this. Do you mean that if I do allyesconfig,
SHOW_ALL_DRIVERS would get enabled, but not otherwise?

> But we should not annouyt the user just to get better build coverage - which
> is why hiding irrelevant symbols is good.

No disagreement there.

But I must say good build coverage is also important (I broke a powerpc
fb driver compilation with my mmap changes, and after fixing the
compilation I introduced a warning...). So I think it's a worthy goal to
have most of the drivers arch-independent, and make it possible to build
them if the user so wants.

I'll do a bit experimenting with fb drivers to see how the
SHOW_ALL_DRIVERS would work. And if there are any other fb drivers than
omapfb that actually can be compiled on other archs.

Tomi

  Last update: 2013-04-30 14:41    [W:0.104 / U:0.604 seconds]