    Subject[RFC] rootmpfs
    Attached is my quick and dirty hack to make rootfs be tmpfs when
    CONFIG_TMPFS is
    enabled. It can't be this easy or somebody would have done it in the
    _eight_years_
    since https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/31/145

    Yes, it's got an #ifdef and out of place prototypes. Yes, it manually
    calls a module
    init function and compensates by making it reentrant. But it works, and
    when I
    "cat /dev/zero > filename" the filesystem fills _up_ instead of
    panicing the kernel.

    So now that I've posted the error, would someone please tell me how I
    _should_ have done it?

    Rob

    P.S. If I actually change the filesystem type to a name other than
    "rootfs", it panics on the way up because various bits of the kernel
    are looking for that magic name. Sigh.

    P.P.S. removing MS_NOUSER is actually intentional, there's a local cray
    patch that does the same thing because otherwise you can't --bind mount
    directories out of this filesystem, which is a thing they wanted to do.

      Last update: 2013-04-03 15:21    [W:3.294 / U:0.716 seconds]