SubjectRe: IO regression after ab8fabd46f on x86 kernels with high memory
On 04/29/2013 05:48 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 04/29/2013 06:03 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> Seriously, you can compile yourself a 64-bit kernel and continue to
>> use your 32-bit user-land. And you can complain to whatever distro you
>> used that it didn't do that in the first place. But we're not going to
>> bother with trying to tune PAE for some particular load. It's just not
>> worth it to anybody.
>
> I can think of one way to "tune PAE" that will help
> avoid the breakage, and at the same time draw the
> attention of users.
>
> Limit the memory that a 32 bit PAE kernel uses, to
> something small enough where the user will not
> encounter random breakage. Maybe 8 or 12GB?
>
> It could also print out a friendly message, to
> inform the user they should upgrade to a 64 bit
> kernel to enjoy the use of all of their memory.
>
> It is a bit of a heavy stick, but I suspect that
> it would clue in all of the affected users.
>
> If you have no objection to this, I'll whip up a
> patch.

That would be pretty useful, especially if I can then convince
distributors to apply it and roll it out ASAP. I haven't personally
observed any problems with mem=15G whereas mem=16G exhibits the IO issue
upfront and more than that exhibits the OOM-killer / low memory
starvation issue that existed before Johannes change.

Thanks,
- Pierre-Loup

  Last update: 2013-04-30 03:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.100 seconds]