SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] Contiguous Memory Allocator and get_user_pages()
Date
On Tuesday 05 March 2013, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> To solving this issue requires preventing locking of the pages, which
> are placed in CMA regions, for a long time. Our idea is to migrate
> anonymous page content before locking the page in get_user_pages(). This
> cannot be done automatically, as get_user_pages() interface is used very
> often for various operations, which usually last for a short period of
> time (like for example exec syscall). We have added a new flag
> indicating that the given get_user_space() call will grab pages for a
> long time, thus it is suitable to use the migration workaround in such
> cases.

Can you explain the tradeoff here? I would have expected that the default
should be to migrate pages out, and annotate the instances that we know
are performance critical and short-lived. That would at least appear
more reliable to me.

Arnd

  Last update: 2013-03-05 10:42    [W:0.239 / U:0.692 seconds]