SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] nohz: Full dynticks base interface

* Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> This settles the initial ground to start a special full dynticks tree in -tip
> that we can iterate incrementally to accelerate the development.
> It is based on tip:sched/core.
>
> I tried to rearrange a bit the naming. We are probably not yet done with
> that but I guess we can fix it along with the rest.
>
> Please pull from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
> full-dynticks-for-mingo
>
> Changes on these commits since they were part of 3.9-rc1-nohz1:
>
> * Force a timekeeping CPU over the full dynticks range
> * Rename CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL to CONFIG_NO_HZ_EXTENDED
> * Following *_nohz_extended_* APIs renames
> * Handle CPU hotplug for timekeeping
> * Rename full_nohz= kernel parameter to nohz_extended=

Note that boot parameters suck for pretty much any purpose but quirks -
please also add a (default off!) Kconfig option to easily enable
nohz_extended for all CPUs.

That way I will be able to test it automatically via randconfig and such.

My next question/request after that would be: could we make sure that
enabling this option does not break any applications or kernel
functionality, ASAP? Once that is offered, it becomes pushable to v3.10 I
think.

Meanwhile I have pulled your tree into tip:sched/nohz to stage and test
it, in the hope that it becomes mergable quickly! :-)

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-03-24 09:21    [W:0.081 / U:1.444 seconds]