SubjectRe: [patch] mm, hugetlb: include hugepages in meminfo
On Wed 20-03-13 11:58:20, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Michal Hocko wrote:
>
> > > I didn't do this because it isn't already exported in /proc/meminfo and
> > > since we've made an effort to reduce the amount of information emitted by
> > > the oom killer at oom kill time to avoid spamming the kernel log, I only
> > > print the default hstate.
> >
> > I do not see how this would make the output too much excessive. If
> > you do not want to have too many lines in the output then the hstate
> > loop can be pushed inside the node loop and have only per-node number
> > of lines same as you are proposing except you would have a complete
> > information.
> > Besides that we are talking about handful of hstates.
> >

> Sigh. Because nobody is going to be mapping non-default hstates and then
> not know about them at oom time;

If you are under control of the machine then you are right. But I was
already handling issues where getting any piece of information was
challenging and having this kind of information in the log would save me
a lot of time.

> 1GB hugepages on x86 with pse must be reserved at boot and never
> freed, for example. I'll add them but it's just a waste of time.

If you feel it is the waste of _your_ time then I am OK to create a folow
up patch. I really do not see any reason to limit this output,
especially when it doesn't cost us much.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2013-03-20 21:03    [W:0.042 / U:0.172 seconds]