SubjectRe: Tux3 Report: Initial fsck has landed
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 29. Januar 2013 schrieb Daniel Phillips:

>>> ... and this is something most system administrators should be
>>> familiar with. For example, it's one of those things that Norton
>>> Ghost when makes file system image copes (the equivalent of "tune2fs
>>> -U random /dev/XXX")
>>
>> Hmm, maybe I missed something but it does not seem like a good idea
>> to use the volume UID itself to generate unique-per-volume metadata
>> hashes, if users expect to be able to change it. All the metadata hashes
>> would need to be changed.
>
> I believe that is what BTRFS is doing.
>
> And yes, AFAIK there is no easy way to change the UUID of a BTRFS filesystems
> after it was created.

In a world where systems are cloned, and many VMs are started from one master
copy of a filesystem, a UUID is about as far from unique as anything you can
generate.

BTRFS may have this problem, but why should Tux3 copy the problem?

David Lang

  Last update: 2013-03-20 05:41    [W:0.065 / U:1.720 seconds]