SubjectRe: very strange dependencies on CONFIG_EXPERT=n in kernel 3.8
From
Thanks Josh,
unfortunately, I cannot live with CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL. I need a
minimalistic kernel, and every unnecessary KB is expensive. Besides, I
have ideological objections to having unneeded features compiled in my
kernel.
Is there any way of editing it directly in the .config file manually?

Nobody asked for my opinion, but I feel I have to say something:
The linux kernel project is already a complicated endeavor as it is.
Why does somebody complicate it needlessly, by creating these
artificial problems. I very much appreciate the good work that is
being done on the linux kernel, but it seems to me that some people
have lost their common sense

Konrad

On 3/11/13, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 04:14:27PM +0100, Konrad Vrba wrote:
>> Dear list,
>> I have noticed that CONFIG_EXPERT=n makes the following options in the
>> kernel required (unremovable):
>>
>> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
>> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""
>> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS=y
>> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LOGIPS2PP=y
>> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS=y
>> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_LIFEBOOK=y
>> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_TRACKPOINT=y
>> CONFIG_VGA_ARB=y
>> CONFIG_VGA_ARB_MAX_GPUS=16
>> CONFIG_I8253_LOCK=y
>> CONFIG_DEBUG_MEMORY_INIT=y
>> CONFIG_PCSPKR_PLATFORM=y
>>
>> If I select CONFIG_EXPERT=y then I can remove those, but that creates
>> a new problem by making CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y unremovable.
>>
>> To make a specific example, this makes it impossible to compile a kernel
>> with
>> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=n
>> CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=n
>> at the same time
>
> CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL, like CONFIG_EXPERT, should not directly affect the
> code included in the kernel; it should just avoid asking about a pile of
> other debugging options. In practice, a small amount of
> architecture-specific code (for powerpc, parisc, and blackfin) did use
> it as a generic debug option, but that needs fixing. So, for now, turn
> on CONFIG_EXPERT and live with having CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL turned on.
>
> That aside, several of the above options should not depend on EXPERT;
> why would PCSPKR_PLATFORM or DEBUG_MEMORY_INIT need to depend on EXPERT?
>
> - Josh Triplett

  Last update: 2013-03-12 16:43    [W:0.070 / U:0.024 seconds]