SubjectRe: ALSA: Conexant CX20585 (thinkpad t510) speaker powersave regression
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:06:41 +0100
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

> At Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:40:24 -0700,
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 16:26:38 +0100
> > Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

> > > It's a known problem that some people have already reported, but
> > > currently no clue who actually turns down the pin to D3.
> > > Conexant guys wrote me that the codec doesn't do it by itself,
> > > and the driver neither, AFAIK. A possible answer is the
> > > firmware / BIOS, but who knows.
> > >
> > > In anyway, could you try to trace the hd-audio events and see
> > > whether the power down is *not* issued by the driver when you see
> > > this state? See Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt, the
> > > section "Tracepoints" for a brief instruction.
> >
> > ok. I am not sure I am doing the right thing, but:
> >
> > - echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/hda/enable
> > - Run hda-verb to get sound working.
> > - Play a video to confirm.
> > - check /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace
> > - Wait a while.
> > - Play another sound that doesn't come out of speakers.
> > - check /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace for anything new.
> >
> > The only things I see in the trace file are my hda-verb call, and
> > the sounds playing. Nothing else.
> >
> > I then tried to duplicate it, but the trace file didn't seem to
> > update properly. Is there some reset needed?
> >
> > Or is this not the info you were looking for?
> >
> > hda-verb-27187 [001] .... 78907.305149: hda_power_count:
> > [0:0] power_count=1, power_on=1, power_transition=0
> > hda-verb-27187 [001] .... 78907.305152: hda_send_cmd: [0:0]
> > val=1f70500
>
> Yes these are what I'd like to check.

Sorry for the long delay here... was the above info of any use?

> The point to check here is exactly which verbs have been sent, and how
> is the codec power status. Check what is the last power_on value when
> the problem appears. If it's power_on=1, it's fine.
> And you can concentrate on the verb to NID 0x1f, namely, hda_send_cmd
> with a value 1fxxxxx. In the example above, 1f70500 means it's
> setting the power state of 0x1f to D0.
>
> Last but not least, you can try my very latest code in sound-unstable
> tree:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-unstable.git
>
> Either master or test/hda-migrate branch contains the latest code for
> Conexant codecs.

I'll note that the problem persists in 3.9.0-0.rc1

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to move this along or
try. ;(

kevin

  Last update: 2013-03-10 19:41    [W:0.092 / U:0.108 seconds]