SubjectRe: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user samples with kernel samples
On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 14:28 -0800, John Stultz wrote:
> I prefer the ioctl method, since its less likely to be re-purposed/misused.
>
> Though I'd be most comfortable with finding some way for perf-timestamps
> to be CLOCK_MONOTONIC based (or maybe CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW if it would be
> easier), and just avoid all together adding another time domain that
> doesn't really have clear definition (other then "what perf uses").

Perhaps add a new perf system call? Does everything need to go through
the one great mighty perf_ioctl aka sys_perf_event_open()? I mean, if
there's something that can be agnostic to an event, but still very much
related to perf, perhaps another perf syscall should be created.

If people are worried about adding a bunch of new perf syscalls, maybe
add a sys_perf_control() system call that works like an ioctl but
without a file descriptor. Something for things that don't require an
event attached to it, like to retrieve a time stamp counter that perf
uses, but done in a way that it could be used for other things perf
related that does not require an event.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-02-06 03:01    [W:0.262 / U:0.204 seconds]