SubjectRe: Read support for fat_fallocate()? (was [v2] fat: editions to support fat_fallocate())
Date
Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hm. My concerns are compatibility and reliability. Although We can
>> change on-disk format if need, but I don't think it can be compatible
>> and reliable. If so, who wants to use it? I feel there is no reason to
>> use FAT if there is no compatible.
>>
>> Well, anyway, possible solution would be, we can pre-allocate physical
>> blocks via fallocate(2) or something, but discard pre-allocated blocks
>> at ->release() (or before unmount at least). This way would have
>> compatibility (no on-disk change over unmount) and possible breakage
>> would be same with normal extend write patterns on kernel crash
>> (i.e. Windows or fsck will truncate after i_size).
> Hi OGAWA.
> We don't need to consider device unplugging case ?
> If yes, I can rework fat fallocate patch as your suggestion.

In my suggestion, I think, kernel crash or something like unplugging
cases handles has no change from current way.

Any pre-allocated blocks are truncated by fsck as inconsistency state,
like crash before updating i_size for normal extend write. I.e. across
unmount, nobody care whether pre-allocated or not. IOW, if there is
inconsistent between i_size and cluster chain (includes via
fallocate(2)) across unmount, it should be handled as broken state.

In short, the lifetime of pre-allocated blocks are from fallocate(2) to
->release() only.

Thanks.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>

  Last update: 2013-02-18 16:41    [W:0.296 / U:1.452 seconds]