SubjectRe: kvmtool tree (Was: Re: [patch] config: fix make kvmconfig)
Il 12/02/2013 10:52, Ingo Molnar ha scritto:
> Check the list I gave (unmodified):
>
> "- Pekka listed new virtio drivers that were done via tools/kvm.

vhost-scsi got in first in tools/kvm, but out-of-tree patches had
existed for QEMU for more than a year. It was developed with QEMU.

> - Pekka listed ARM KVM support which was written/prototyped
> using tools/kvm.

Again, I think both QEMU and tools/kvm were used, with QEMU probably
coming first. However, I'm not 100% sure.

> - There's over a dozen bugfixes in your kernel which were found
> via syscall fuzzing built into tools/kvm. (I can dig them all
> out if you want.)

This sounds like something that runs in a guest, not in the host. As
such it need not be tied to tools/kvm. If there is a host component
(host C code), I'd be interested. I know that Fujitsu guys have patches
for panic notification from the guest kernel, for example.

But if there is a host component to it, then please go back to the
original purpose of tools/kvm. Drop all the QCOW, VNC, SeaBIOS
nonsense. Drop the userspace networking stack (tap is enough). Make
the tool into a library that supports nothing but virtio-{blk,net,9p}
and VFIO. Build _many_ narrow-focused tools around that library.

>> "sparse" is useful for kernel development. "git" is useful for
>> kernel development. "xterm" is useful for kernel development.
>
> That argument is silly beyond belief. Read this list:
>
> - tools/kvm
> - sparse
> - git
> - xterm
> - perf
>
> Which two tools in this list:
>
> - Use and focus on Linux specific system calls to provide Linux
> specific functionality?
>
> - Are never - and will conceivably never - run on any kernel
> which is not extremely Linux compatible?

QEMU runs KVM on Solaris, FWIW.

Paolo

  Last update: 2013-02-13 10:01    [W:0.150 / U:1.424 seconds]