SubjectRe: MODSIGN without RTC?
Am 11.02.2013 20:44, schrieb Alexander Holler:
> Am 07.02.2013 19:44, schrieb Olaf Titz:
>>> Another option would be to make a configure option to just ignore the
>>> date. I'm not sure if I would like to use MODSIGN when I have to fear
>>> that the machine wouldn't start when the RTC fails or got set to a wrong
>>> date.
>>
>> Or just ignore the date unconditionally. After all, when a certificate
>> check fails due to out-of-validity-period, then you can always "fix"
>> that by appropriately setting the clock. So for security, in this
>> application, the date check is outright useless.
>
> I don't think that is an option, because the date check is part of the
> crypto-api and not a part of the modsign-stuff.
>
> So it's necessary that the crypto-api offers a flag to ignore the dates
> and another flag to mark such keys as invalid because of the date. The
> first flag is necessary to load and use the keys, the second flag for
> (maybe) other users of the crypto-api which might not use such invalid
> keys.

Another option would be, to just load every key, regardless of the dates
of the keys, and let the user of the keys (e.g. modsign) decide if they
accept the dates in the keys.

But I'm missing the big picture about the crypto-api and their users,
therefor I better don't touch that part of the kernel myself. ;)

Regards,

Alexander

  Last update: 2013-02-12 14:21    [W:0.159 / U:0.320 seconds]