    SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] mm, memcg: allow processes handling oom notifications to access reserves
    Hello,

    On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 05:49:04PM -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
    > That's not what this series is addressing, though, and in fact it's quite
    > the opposite. It acknowledges that userspace oom handlers need to
    > allocate and that anything else would be too difficult to maintain
    > (thereby agreeing with the above), so we must set aside memory that they
    > are exclusively allowed to access. For the vast majority of users who
    > will not use userspace oom handlers, they can just use the default value
    > of memory.oom_reserve_in_bytes == 0 and they incur absolutely no side-
    > effects as a result of this series.

    Umm.. without delving into details, aren't you basically creating a
    memory cgroup inside a memory cgroup? Doesn't sound like a
    particularly well thought-out plan to me.

    > For those who do use userspace oom handlers, like Google, this allows us
    > to set aside memory to allow the userspace oom handlers to kill a process,
    > dump the heap, send a signal, drop caches, etc. when waking up.

    Seems kinda obvious. Put it in a separate cgroup? You're basically
    saying it doesn't want to be under the same memory limit as the
    processes that it's looking over. That's like the definition of being
    in a different cgroup.

    Thanks.

    --
    tejun

      Last update: 2013-12-05 04:41    [W:4.312 / U:0.000 seconds]