SubjectRe: Re: [RFCv4 06/11] misc: Introduce Nokia CMT driver
From
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Sebastian Reichel <sre@ring0.de> wrote:

> I had a look at both ofono's and freesmartphone.org's implementation
> for the GPIO handling and both implementations are very similar. I
> think it should be possible to move the state machine described in
> [0] into the kernel and provide a simple sysfs/uevent interface.
>
> I was thinking of something like /sys/devices/platform/nokia-cmt/state,
> which accepts "enable", "disable" and "reset" as input and outputs the
> current state.
>
> [0] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/network/ofono/ofono.git/tree/plugins/nokia-gpio.c

Yes this looks like kernel code shoehorned into userspace. As it
deals with suspending/resuming hardware for example, and that is
something the kernel needs to coordinate and do uniformly across
all devices (IMO).

A while back Arun Murthy was working on creating an embedded
modem subsystem but the development stopped. However such a
subsystem is a generic problem of general interest and this would be
one of the candidates for drivers/modem I think. Sadly creating it
may be a lot of work, I don't know exactly.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

  Last update: 2013-12-22 12:01    [W:0.150 / U:0.144 seconds]