SubjectRe: Replace /dev/random input mix polynomial with Brent's xorgen?
> My draft patch series uses Skein/Threefish.  The authors conveniently
> specified a way to use it as a PRNG, and it's very fast without
> special hardware support (consequently, for all kinds of hardware.)
> On my laptop, reading from /dev/urandom becomes about 25 times faster
> for large reads, and about 40% faster for small reads where the
> syscall overhead is more important.

Well, /dev/urandom is documented as being *deliberately* slow. It's meant
only to produce 128 to 256 bits of seed material for CPRNG. I don't
know if Ted considers speeding it up to be goal or an antigoal. :-)

One thing i've thought about is adding a /dev/frandom, which is seeded
once at open time and then produces a "reasonably strong" large block of
cryptographic output, very quickly. (Key size between 128 and 192 bits.)

I understand why Ted didn't do this in the first place, but the number
of people I see doing something like "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/sdx"
to test incompressible data is remarkable.

If the additional code is small, perhaps it's worth doing.

BTW, if it helps on 32-bit platforms I can get you rotate constats for
a 32-bit version of threefish. I haven't generated a key scheduling
constant, though.

  Last update: 2013-12-15 23:41    [W:0.067 / U:0.188 seconds]