SubjectRe: process 'stuck' at exit.

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/junk/perf.data.xz
>
> "Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /junk/perf.data.xz on this server."
>
> also, we'd need the vmlinux file to actually decode the data, I think.

So my point is somewhat moot in light of a fix patch, but the best way
to export all interesting data is via running 'perf archive' after the
perf.data got created:

comet:~/tip> perf archive
Now please run:

$ tar xvf perf.data.tar.bz2 -C ~/.debug

wherever you need to run 'perf report' on.
comet:~/tip>

and copying over both the perf.data and the perf.data.tar.bz2.

Arnaldo, I think we should make it even easier and more obvious to
export/import perf data, via something like:

perf clean # cleans out ~/.debug
perf record ...
perf export # creates perf.data.tar.bz2 which includes perf.data as well, not just .debug

and then whoever gets a perf.data.tar.bz2 can do:

perf import # does 'tar xjvf perf.data.tar.bz2'
perf report # analyze the data as if it was captured on your own box

which extracts it into the local directory. This makes the whole thing
rather easy and makes the result complete and trustable.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-12-11 14:41    [W:0.290 / U:0.636 seconds]