SubjectRe: common location for devicetree files

On Nov 8, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 11:59:56AM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:

>>> What do we really need to do before the move? Should all arch dts files
>>> be able to #include from any arch? What's the minimum churn needed to
>>> accomplish that? Maybe just move the needed bits to arch/dts/include/ ?
>>>
>>> I'm not real keen on separating by vendor. For example, us mvebu folks
>>> would probably miss useful/duplicated effort in another vendor's
>>> subdirectory. Which was the whole reason for moving driver code out of
>>> machine directories to begin with.
>>

>> Can you explain that further, what would you miss from other vendors.
>> All the patches should still be going via devicetree ML.
>
> I was simply applying the same logic used to justify moving all of the
> driver code out of arch/arm/. Once that happened, a lot of patterns
> emerged and we have things like common clock now. Yet all of this code
> (originally under arch/arm) was submitted to the same ML.
>
> iow, there's a difference between being on the same high-traffic
> mailinglist where people are filtering out just what they need, and
> being in the same subdirectory, right next to three other
> implementations of the same code (I exaggerate, but the point remains).
> It's a lot easier to spot similar implementations when they are all
> congregated under one directory.
>
> How many boards are using the same PMIC across vendors? Would it make
> sense to have a tps6905.dtsi they could all include? Flash chips? I'm
> just asking.
>
> My gut is that having separate vendor directories would lead to
> balkanization. That might not be a problem, but it's worth considering.
>
> thx,
>
> Jason.

I get the point, just not sure how else to sort the 800+ .dts{i} files that we have in the kernel tree right now.

I think common patterns have to be looked at by various maintainers.

- k

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

  Last update: 2013-11-08 19:41    [W:0.058 / U:0.612 seconds]