SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree
> Btw, I have to state that I very much disagree with dropping the
> direct I/O kernel changes, and I also very much disagree with keeping
> the immutable iovecs in.
>
> For the latter I think the immutable iovecs are useful and do want to
> see them eventually, but they were merged at the latest possible point
> in the merge window and cause breakage all over the tree, so they very
> clearly are not ready at this point, and I fear even more breakage if
> they do get merged.
>
> The changes for direct I/O from kernel space have been in for a long
> time, and they are blocking multiple consumers of the interface from
> getting submitted for about a year now. Even if the guts of the
> direct-io code will get a write based on another patchset from Kent
> that will go on top of the immutable iovec changes we need the
> interfaces now and not another year down the road.

Sorry Christoph,
I guess I made a rash decision to pull this from linux-next. I
underestimated the dependencies others had on this.

Stephen,
How about you pick this up again for now? Unfortunately, I'm going to be
on a cruise next week and basically out of touch after today until a
week from Monday. That will give Kent some more time to ponder things
before I ask Linus to merge it.

Thanks,
Sorry for being a hassle.

Shaggy

  Last update: 2013-11-08 17:01    [W:0.121 / U:0.384 seconds]