SubjectRe: Bench for testing scheduler
Hi Vincent,

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:54:30AM +0000, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the Energy-aware scheduling mini-summit, we spoke about benches
> that should be used to evaluate the modifications of the scheduler.
> I’d like to propose a bench that uses cyclictest to measure the wake
> up latency and the power consumption. The goal of this bench is to
> exercise the scheduler with various sleeping period and get the
> average wakeup latency. The range of the sleeping period must cover
> all residency times of the idle state table of the platform. I have
> run such tests on a tc2 platform with the packing tasks patchset.
> I have use the following command:
> #cyclictest -t <number of cores> -q -e 10000000 -i <500-12000> -d 150 -l 2000

I think cyclictest is a useful model small(er) periodic tasks for
benchmarking energy related patches. However, it doesn't have a
good-enough-performance criteria as it is. I think that is a strict
requirement for all energy related benchmarks.

Measuring latency gives us a performance metric while the energy tells
us how energy efficient we are. But without a latency requirement we
can't really say if a patch helps energy-awareness unless it improves
both energy _and_ performance. That is the case for your packing patches
for this particular benchmark with this specific configuration. That is
a really good result. However, in the general case patches may trade a
bit of performance to get better energy, which is also good if
performance still meets the requirement of the application/user. So we
need a performance criteria to tells us when we sacrifice too much
performance when trying to save power. Without it it is just a
performance benchmark where we measure power.

Coming up with a performance criteria for cyclictest is not so easy as
it doesn't really model any specific application. I guess sacrificing a
bit of latency is acceptable if it comes with significant energy
savings. But a huge performance impact might not be, even if it comes
with massive energy savings. So maybe the criteria would consist of both
a minimum latency requirement (e.g. up to 10% increase) and a
requirement for improved energy per work.

As I see it, it the only way we can validate energy efficiency of
patches that trade performance for improved energy.

Morten