SubjectRe: [tip:perf/core] tools/perf: Add required memory barriers

* Vince Weaver <vince@deater.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > I don't want a library that is external and under-tested: for example
> > quite a few of the PAPI breakages were found very late, after a new
> > kernel has been released - that's the big disadvantage of
> > librarization and decentralization. The decentralized library model
> > might work if all you want to create is a second-class also-ran GUI,
> > but it just doesn't work very well for actively developed kernel code.
>
> I would argue that PAPI's problem was because it was trying to use
> perf_event_open() which is a complex, poorly documented kernel interface
> with a lot of code churn. Usually it's the job of the kernel not to
> break user-space, not the other way around.

As Linus said it on the Kernel Summit: breakages that don't get reported
or don't get noticed essentially don't exist. We can only fix what gets
reported in time.

> It's too late on the decentralized library issue. PAPI has to support
> kernels going back to 2.6.32 so it's going to have its own copy of the
> mmap parsing code even if a new syscall gets introduced.
>
> There are a lot of tools out there now that open-code a perf_event
> interface. I don't think it's really possible to say "anyone using the
> syscall without using our kernel library is unsupported".

I'm not saying that at all - but you appear to expect perfect kernel code
and fixes done before you report them: that's an impossible expectation.

It's your choice to live outside the space that we readily test and it's
your choice to not test your bits with a new kernel in time. Others do not
test your code with -rc kernels, they don't report the bugs, so some bugs
that affect the PAPI library go unnoticed. Yet you try to blame it on us,
which is really backwards ...

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-11-07 17:41    [W:0.202 / U:0.092 seconds]