SubjectRe: [patch 1/6] hardirq: Make hardirq bits generic
From
Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
>> Also note that the value of "nested" doesn't match the indentation level,
>> which depends on my own bookkeeping using "nesting".
>
> Well, nested is just an indicator. It's not the nest level.

I know, the only thing that matters is whether it's zero or not.
But it should always be zero if there's no nesting, and non-zero if there
is, right?

So:

# irq 13 nested 1024

nested should be 0 here.

# irq 4 nested 0

ok

# irq 13 nested 1024

ok (two extra spaces in front of "irq").

# irq 4 nested 0

nested should be non-zero here.

> nested = pt->sr & ~ALLOWINT;
> i.e.:
> nested = pt->sr & 0x0700;
>
> So in the case above nested is 0x400
>
>> Anyone with an idea where it's going wrong?
>
> The original code does:
>
> add_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
>
> do_IRQ()
> irq_enter();
> add_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
>
> handle_irq();
>
> irq_exit();
> local_irq_disable();
> sub_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
>
> sub_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
>
> /* Check for nested irq */
> if (in_hardirq())
> reti();
>
> /* Check for nested irq again */
> if (pt->sr & ~ALLOWINT != 0)
> reti();
>
> do_softirq();
> ret_from_exception();
>
> With the patches in place it looks like this:
>
> do_IRQ()
> nested = pt->sr & ~ALLOWINT;
>
> irq_enter();
> add_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
>
> handle_irq();
>
> irq_exit_nested(nested);
> local_irq_disable();
> sub_preempt_count(HARDIRQ_OFFSET);
> if (!nested && !in_hardirq())
> do_softirq()
>
> return nested;
>
> if (nested)
> reti();
>
> ret_from_exception();
>
> So all it does essentially is to move the softirq invocation in the
> non nested case a tad earlier. I'm really puzzled as I can't spot the
> point where this change makes a real difference.

Yes, that's also my understanding.
But I can't spot it neither :-(

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2013-11-07 15:41    [W:0.093 / U:0.336 seconds]