SubjectRe: Linux 3.12 released .. and no merge window yet .. and 4.0 plans?
Am 06.11.2013 14:42, schrieb Keith Curtis:
> I don't know if you all should spend time working only on bugs, but I
> believe more time should be spent on the bug *list*. There are many
> users patiently waiting for the kernel to work for their computer. The
> pleas for help can be read in the bug database. The data can be used
> to determine the selective places in the code that need more
> brainpower. Send in the cavalry! Some have been waiting for years. I'm
> running into 9 kernel / X bugs on my new Lenovo Yoga 2 with 3.11.6. An
> unprioritized buglist also discourages people from entering new, valid
> ones. As the issue list gets in better shape, things will become a bit
> more relaxed. Quality metrics around bug count and age can be useful.

The problem with many bugs is, that workarounds don't get accepted.

So the situation sometimes is that there is a driver which isn't that
perfect and when you try to fix something, the patch is refused because
it is as imperfect as the whole driver (even if the patch would cure
some problems).
So the only fix which won't be refused is a rewrite of the driver which
often just isn't what people are willing to do.

Regards,

Alexander Holler

  Last update: 2013-11-07 11:41    [W:0.116 / U:0.724 seconds]