SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/14] perf report: Add support to accumulate hist periods (v2)
Date
Hi Ingo,

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:27:59 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>> > If we display your new 'total' field by default then it's not as
>> > pressing to me :)
>>
>> Do you mean -g cumulative without 'self' column?
>
> So, if by default we display both 'self' and 'total' and sort by
> 'total', then I'm personally a happy camper: while it's a change of
> the default perf report output, it's also a step forward.
>
> But some people might complain about it once this hits v3.13 (or
> v3.14) and might want to hide individual columns and have different
> sorting preferences.
>
> So out of defensive caution you might want to provide toggles for
> such things, maybe even generalize it a bit to allow arbitrary
> hiding/display of individual colums in perf report.
>
> That would probably also make it easier to do minimal tweaks to the
> upstream reporting defaults.

Okay, so what would the interface look like?

I think it'd better to separate the option and pass column and
(optional) sort key argument.

--cumulative both,total (default)
--cumulative both,self
--cumulative total
--cumulative self (meaningless?)

Maybe we need a config option and a single letter option for the default
case like --call-graph and -g options do.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Namhyung

  Last update: 2013-11-05 08:41    [W:0.104 / U:1.000 seconds]