SubjectCopying large files eats all of the RAM
From
Hi,

I am using cp command to copy a list of files each with size of around
1GB (copy within the same hard disk).

My laptop has 4GB of ram, before I issue the command around 1.5GB of memory
is used, when I issue the cp command around 3.7GB of memory is used.
And the cp command takes a lot of time to copy.

I am not able to launch other applications(take a lot of time) and
even compiz freezes frequently. my laptop has Ubuntu installed on it.

Is this the problem with only my system or it is a common problem with Linux?.

Is there any way to stop any copy command to use all of my memory.

Thanks
Venkat

  Last update: 2013-11-28 15:21    [W:0.085 / U:0.044 seconds]