SubjectRe: Why is O_DSYNC on linux so slow / what's wrong with my SSD?
> Yes, and I'm arguing that is a bug (as in, < 0.01% people are using
> hdparm correctly).

Generally speaking if you are using hdparm for tuning it means we need to
fix something in the ATA layer so you don't have to !

> I guess it would be safer not to reattach drives after power
> fail... (also I wonder what this does to data integrity. Drive lost
> content of its writeback cache, but kernel continues... Journal will
> not prevent data corruption in this case).

For good or bad its very hard to tell if a drive randomly powers off or
we merely get a bus reset in the ATA case. In the SATA case we do at
least get the relevant events to handle it nicely as we *should* see a
DevExch event. We also can't tell a power fail event from a hot drive
swap, so we most definitely want to re-attach the drive, just so long as
we ensure that it comes back on a different device node.

Alan

  Last update: 2013-11-24 02:21    [W:0.044 / U:0.248 seconds]