SubjectRe: Why is O_DSYNC on linux so slow / what's wrong with my SSD?
Hi Ric,

Am 22.11.2013 21:37, schrieb Ric Wheeler:
> On 11/22/2013 03:01 PM, Stefan Priebe wrote:
>> Hi Christoph,

>>> In which case they aren't spec complicant. While I've seen countless
>>> data integrity bugs on lower end ATA SSDs I've not seen one that simpliy
>>> ingnores flush. If you'd want to cheat that bluntly you'd be better
>>> of just claiming to not have a writeback cache.
>>>
>>> You solve your performance problem by completely disabling any chance
>>> of having data integrity guarantees, and do so in a way that is not
>>> detectable for applications or users.
>>>
>>> If you have a workload with lots of small synchronous writes disabling
>>> the writeback cache on the disk does indeed often help, especially with
>>> the non-queueable FLUSH on all but the most recent ATA devices.
>>
>> But this isn't correct for drives with capicitors like Crucial m500,
>> Intel DC S3500, DC S3700 isn't it? Shouldn't the linux kernel has an
>> option to disable this for drives like these?
>> /sys/block/sdX/device/ignore_flush
>
> If you know 100% for sure that your drive has a non-volatile write
> cache, you can run the file system without the flushing by mounting "-o
> nobarrier". With most devices, this is not needed since they tend to
> simply ignore the flushes if they know they are power failure safe.

Thanks - but i have raw block devices the data goes to .

> Block level, we did something similar for users who are not running
> through a file system for SCSI devices - James added support to echo
> "temporary" into the sd's device's cache_type field:
>
> See:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=2ee3e26c673e75c05ef8b914f54fadee3d7b9c88

So i have to switch to write through but i'm still using the wb cache of
the device?

echo temporary write through > /sys/class/scsi_disk/<disk>/cache_type

Thanks!

Stefan

  Last update: 2013-11-22 22:21    [W:0.512 / U:0.080 seconds]