SubjectRe: [RFC v2 0/2] Early use of boot service memory
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 06:05:15PM -0700, jerry.hoemann@hp.com wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38:31PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Hm. If the problem is fragmentation, then yeah, I can imagine this
> > causing problems. In that case we could take a two-pass approach - find
> > a gap that *will* be big enough, reserve everything that isn't currently
> > reserved, and then reserve the rest after ExitBootServices()?
>

> Matthew,
>
> Did you really mean EnterVirtualMode (not ExitBootServices?)

I think I actually meant SetVirtualAddressMap() :)

> In one of your earlier emails you mentioned the issue is that linux makes
> regions NX. That would cause problems if FW tried to execute a region
> we just reserved. Unfortunately, i'm not seeing where the kernel is
> doing this for crash kernel memory. Assuming it is making it NX, can
> we defer that part? Or if its not, do we have a problem w/ crash kernel
> reservation at all?

I don't think we explicitly do that at any point for crash kernel
regions. The boot services regions get toggled by efi_set_executable().

> Interesting questions, but as I don't have access to a system that has
> the firmware defects encountered when efi_reserve_boot_services, it makes
> it difficult to test that i don't break them. Hence, the appealing nature
> of quirks. Don't have to worry about breaking other platforms as they
> continue to operate same as before.

Yeah. The problem is that some users may want kdump while still having
broken firmware, so a solution that works for them is much more
appealing than one which involves manually maintaining a list of
verified systems...

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

  Last update: 2013-11-22 02:41    [W:0.559 / U:0.156 seconds]