SubjectRe: [RFC v2 2/2] x86, efi: Early use of boot service memory
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 02:01:26PM -0700, Jerry Hoemann wrote:
> Some platform have firmware that violate the UEFI spec and access boot service
> code or data segments after the system has called ExitBootServices().
> The call to efi_reserve_boot_services is a workaround to avoid using
> boot service memory until after the kernel has done SetVirtualAddressMap().
> However, this reservation fragments memory which can cause
> large allocations early in boot (e.g. crash kernel) to fail.
>
> When reserve_crashkernel fails, kdump is disabled.
>
> This patch creates a quirk list that governs when the workaround,
> efi_reserve_boot_services, is called.
>
> For all firmware released prior to 2014, the workaround will be
> called unless an entry for the platform is in the quirk list saying
> not to do the workaround.
>
> For all firmware released 2014 and later, the workaround will not
> be called unless an entry for the platform is in the quirk list
> saying to call the workaround.

This is yet another quirk list which can grow uncontrolled considering
the notoriety of firmware bugs. And since detecting such spec violation
is very simple - boot Linux on the machine - we should rather disable
this by default for FW >= 2014 and make this test part of the firmware
test suite so that vendors can get a chance to fix their BIOSen.

Provided vendors do boot fwts on their validation platforms, that is.

Yo Fleming, got a better idea? :)

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.

  Last update: 2013-11-21 23:41    [W:0.115 / U:0.164 seconds]