SubjectRe: Why is O_DSYNC on linux so slow / what's wrong with my SSD?
From
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:37:03AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 08:52:36PM +0530, Chinmay V S wrote:
> >
> > If you have confirmed the performance numbers, then it indicates that
> > the Intel 530 controller is more advanced and makes better use of the
> > internal disk-cache to achieve better performance (as compared to the
> > Intel 520). Thus forcing CMD_FLUSH on each IOP (negating the benefits
> > of the disk write-cache and not allowing any advanced disk controller
> > optimisations) has a more pronouced effect of degrading the
> > performance on Intel 530 SSDs. (Someone with some actual info on Intel
> > SSDs kindly confirm this.)
>
> You might also want to do some power fail testing to make sure that
> the SSD is actually flusing all of its internal Flash Translation
> Layer (FTL) metadata to stable storage on every CMD_FLUSH command.

Some SSD's are also claim the ability to flush the cache on power loss:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-320-series-power-loss-data-protection-brief.html

Which should in theory let them respond immediately to flush requests,
right? Except they only seem to advertise it as a safety (rather than a
performance) feature, so I probably misunderstand something.

And the 520 doesn't claim this feature (look for "enhanced power loss
protection" at http://ark.intel.com/products/66248), so that wouldn't
explain these results anyway.

--b.