SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] kernel 3.11.6 general protection fault
Date
Hi
I listened to your advise and installed 3.12 kernel (no other modules on top
that would taint the kernel like vmware/player).
So it turned out I have to enable /proc/acpi (depreciated) and acpi_cpufreq,
so that I may have a proper support for cooling and frequency.

$ acpi -t
Thermal 0: ok, 50.5 degrees C
$ acpi -c
Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 2: LCD 3 of 7
$ lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_ondemand 8085 2
cpufreq_powersave 926 0
cpufreq_performance 930 0
cpufreq_conservative 6305 0
acpi_cpufreq 6955 0
processor 23167 3 acpi_cpufreq

After doing all of this I was able to reproduce the issue by overloading the
system with following simple steps:
1. start a compilation of something (ex. kernel)
2. run another process hungry application (flashplayer in firefox)
=> system locks in about 3-5mins

I also noticed that the board gets pretty hot, so in my opinion it locks
because of thermal issue.
I think this also would explain why I see errors at different processes
(mostly Xorg), but with 3.12 I do not get any trace message in the log files.
Could you advise which option should be enabled in the kernel or how I could
log/trace if system locks.
How can I make sure that the cooling/temp works properly?

Perhaps after upgrading in september the system is working under heavier load
and therefore I started having the issue, or something broke in software or
hardware and it can not cool down properly. I don't think the kernel is the
issue, because I had the same with older kernels that were working fine
before.
The fan looks clean and there is no dust or whatever in the cooling area, that
would prevent colling. The physical position of the notebook (docking
station) also did not change.
I don't know where to look at or to start, so any advise is appreciated.

thanks in advance and kind regards

  Last update: 2013-11-17 13:21    [W:0.142 / U:0.740 seconds]