SubjectRe: call_usermodehelper in containers
15.11.2013 15:03, Eric W. Biederman пишет:
> Stanislav Kinsbursky <skinsbursky@parallels.com> writes:
>
>> 12.11.2013 17:30, Jeff Layton пишет:

>>> No, the kernel uses them for a lot more than that. Pretty much all of
>>> the keys API upcalls use it. See all of the callers of
>>> call_usermodehelper. All of them are running user binaries out of the
>>> kernel, and almost all of them are certainly broken wrt containers.

>>> Suppose I spawn my own container as a user, using all of this spiffy
>>> new user namespace stuff. Then I make the kernel use
>>> call_usermodehelper to call the upcall in the init_ns, and then trick
>>> it into running my new "escape_from_namespace" program with "real" root
>>> privileges.
>>>
>>> I don't think we can reasonably assume that having the kernel exec an
>>> arbitrary binary inside of a container is safe. Doing so inside of the
>>> init_ns is marginally more safe, but only marginally so...

>>> Nothing _forces_ us to do so, but upcalls are very difficult to handle,
>>> and UMH has a lot of advantages over a long-running daemon launched by
>>> userland.
>>>
>>> Originally, I created the nfsdcltrack upcall as a running daemon called
>>> nfsdcld, and the kernel used rpc_pipefs to communicate with it.
>>>
>>> Everyone hated it because no one likes to have to run daemons for
>>> infrequently used upcalls. It's a pain for users to ensure that it's
>>> running and it's a pain to handle when it isn't. So, I was encouraged
>>> to turn that instead into a UMH upcall.
>>>
>>> But leaving that aside, this problem is a lot larger than just nfsd. We
>>> have a *lot* of UMH upcalls in the kernel, so this problem is more
>>> general than just "fixing" nfsd's.
>>>

>> Ok. So we are talking about generic approach to UMH support in a container (and/or namespace).
>>
>> Actually, as far as I can see, there are more that one aspect, which is not supported.
>> One one them is executing of the right binary. Another one is
>> capabilities (and maybe there are more, like user namespaces), but I
>> don't really care about them for now.
>> Executing the right binary, actually, is not about namespaces at all. This is about lookup implementation in VFS (do_execve_common).
>

>> Would be great to unshare FS for forked UHM kthread and swap it to
>> desired root. This will solve the problem with proper lookup. However,
>> as far as I understand, this approach is not welcome by the community.
>
> I don't understand that one. Having a preforked thread with the proper
> environment that can act like kthreadd in terms of spawning user mode
> helpers works and is simple. The only downside I can see is that there
> is extra overhead.

What do you mean by "simple" here? Simple to implement?
We already have a preforked thread, called "UMH", used exactly for this purpose.
And, if I'm not mistaken, we are trying to discuss, how to adapt existent infrastructure for namespaces, don't we?

> Beyond that though for the user mode helpers spawned to populate
> security keys it is not clear which context they should be run in,
> even if we do have kernel threads.

Regardless of the context itself, we need a way to pass it to kernel thread and to put kernel thread in this context. Or I'm missing something?

>> This problem, probably, can be solved by constructing full binary path
>> (i.e. not in a container, but in kernel thread root context) in UMH
>> "init" callack. However, this will help only is the dentry is
>> accessible from "init" root. Which is usually no true in case on mount
>> namespaces, if I understand them right.
>
> You are correct it can not be assumed that what is visible in one mount
> namespace is visible in another. And of course in addition to picking
> the correct binary to run you have to set up a proper environment for
> that binary to run in. It may be that it's configuration file is only
> avaiable at the expected location in the proper mount namespace, even
> if the binary is available in all of the mount namespaces.

Yes, you are right. So, this solution can help only in case of very specific and simple "environment-less" programs.
So, I believe, that we should modify UMH itself to support our needs. But I don't see, how to make the idea more pleasant for the community.
IOW, when I was talking about UMH in NFS implementation on Ksummit, Linus's answer was something like "fix NFS".
And I can't object it, actually, because for now NFS is the only corner case.

Jeff said, that there are a bunch of UMH calls in kernel, but this is not solid enough to prove UHM changes, since nobody is trying to use them in containers.

So, I doubt, that we can change UMH generically without additional use-cases for 'containerized" UMH.

--
Best regards,
Stanislav Kinsbursky