Subject[BUG] perf stat: explicit grouping yields unexpected results
From
Jiri,

I was trying the grouping support in perf stat and I was surprised
to see that if I create a group that is too big to be scheduled, and
where only N out of P events can fit, perf stat still yields counts
for the N events. I was expecting 0 counts or <not supported>.

The kernel semantic is to schedule all the events in a group or none.
Perf does something different and this is confusing. If you use explicit
grouping then I think you want to group to fail if not all the events can
be scheduled:

On an IvyBridge:
$ perf stat --g -e
'{cycles,instructions,branches,branches,branches,branches,branches}'
noploop 1
3 229 417 079 cycles
3 223 919 023 instructions # 1,00 insns per cycle
3 220 868 098 branches
3 220 868 098 branches
3 220 868 098 branches
3 220 868 098 branches
<not supported> branches

I think it should be: <not supported> for all events.

  Last update: 2013-11-14 22:21    [W:0.551 / U:0.040 seconds]