SubjectRe: Uncompressed kernel doesn't build on x86_64
On 2013-11-14 03:32, Christian Ruppert wrote:
> 2. A patch to enable uncompressed x86 kernels. As stated above, I don't
> think this makes a lot of sense in itself but it might serve as an
> example for people working on other platforms with self-extracting
> kernels and the nozip not-decompression algorithm might be useful on
> those platforms as well. I only had a single x86-64 machine available
> to test this, however, so some more testing might be required.

I disagree with the argument that an uncompressed x86 kernel doesn't
make sense, If you have a very fast boot device, then it is fully
conceivable that an uncompressed kernel could boot faster than a
compressed one. I have seen a very large number of systems where the
LZO compression boots at least twice as fast as gzip or bz2 (because the
disks are fast enough that a few megabytes of size difference make much
less of an impact than a slow decompressor).

  Last update: 2013-11-14 15:21    [W:0.184 / U:0.196 seconds]