SubjectRe: [tip:x86/uv] x86/UV: Add uvtrace support

* Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:

> > Nothing actually uses the uv_trace() methods, plus nobody actually
> > sets uv_trace_func.
> >
> > Whatever hack this is, it has no place in the upstream kernel. I'll
> > queue up a revert to make this pushable in this merge window.
>
> [...]
>
> Currently the uvtrace function is a separate module built out of tree.
> It's pretty much prototype right now so not quite ready for general use.
> It's used mostly to debug problems that are timing and/or load sensitive
> as it's a very low overhead trace module that includes high resolution
> timing.
>
> Should I do this differently, perhaps with a register function?

Out of tree code essentially does not exist as far as the upstream kernel
is concerned - especially if it causes crappy upstream code...

So either turn it into something clean and mergable, or patch your kernel
and hide the uglies from others.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-11-11 21:41    [W:0.103 / U:0.016 seconds]